Subject: Broadcaster Elite (was: speed??razor)
From: [email-masked] (Jamie Krutz) ()
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:45:15 -0700

In article <[email-masked]> Tim Krego <[email-masked]> writes:
> I'm starting to forget all that old Amiga hardware. Was the Broadcaster from
> DMI or something like that? Their first board was based on the TI 34010 chip
> I think? 

Yep DMI did have a high res display card. I forget what it was called. 

> I think I have a picture of their Broadcaster board, it had all
> kinds of cool ram and video options.

The Broadcaster (now called the Broadcaster Elite) is a motion jpeg 
card based on an LSI Logic chipset. It was begun by DMI but is now 
made by Applied Magic, Inc.  I wrote a manual for the Elite and
Producer (the editing software) a while ago. They added on to what I
wrote and made it into an AmigaGuide document (lost all my cool
formatting, but nice to have in online interactive form).

> What kind of quality does it have?

Similar to other high-end motion jpeg boards on other platforms. 
4-6 megs/sec. They also have an external array solution 
that lets it chug along at 8 megs/sec (looks very good, also supposed 
to work with the Flyer, BTW). They also have a new digital audio 
card with digital i/o, 4 way panning to four analog outputs, automated 
mixing/panning, and effects rendering acceleration.

The editing software has really become useful in the last year. Lots
of new features. 

There's a web site run by one of the programmers. You can see screen 
shots and read specifications:

ftp://ftp.cts.com/pub/dan/index.html

This site is also accessible from the Amiga Web Directory:

http://www.cucug.org/amiga.html

Regards,
 -Jamie